Saturday, April 6, 2013

Dreaming About Breathing Underwater

Have I said that I think I'm partly psychic? Not in the way that I can tell what you're thinking right this very moment, but I can definitely sense things and I "see" things in my dreams. I feel like I'm supposed to learn something from them, but not sure what.

I have a lot of dreams in fact and they are very vivid and detailed. I often dream about dying in my dreams and then coming back to life and my biggest recurring dream is that I can breathe underwater. For example, last night I had a dream that I was trying to get tickets to a concert, but couldn't because I didn't have any money. Then, I was trying to help my friend find her car and then next thing you know we are in the car and have driven off into a pond? Lake? Ocean? I am breathing fine and she is panicking. I bust the windows out of the car and we swim to safety. However, I didn't physically break the windows. I just thought about them breaking.

According to dreammoods.com my underwater breathing dreams mean:

To dream that you are breathing underwater represents a retreat back into the womb. You want to return to a state where you were dependent and free from responsibilities. Perhaps you are feeling helpless, unable to fulfill your own needs and to care for yourself. Alternatively, breathing underwater is analogous to being submerged in your own emotions.

This seems a wee bit intense. Yeah, of course, I'd love to be free from responsibilities but does it mean I'm stressed out about them? Not necessarily.

But then an answer from dreamdoctor.com says this:

Water is one of the most common and powerful of all dream symbols. It’s presence in dreams is associated with emotions, which is why, when we see it in our dreams, we are alerted that our dream most likely concerns feelings we are managing in our conscious lives. In this light, the ability to breathe underwater is a positive dream metaphor. You are able to visit the emotional and intuitive aspect of your personality freely and easily, and you do not feel uncomfortable in this emotional territory. If you were carried along by a rushing river, or were buffeted by enormous waves in a raging ocean, the interpretation would be quite different. In the first instance you are being “swept along” by powerful subconscious drives and emotions; in the second you feel your overwhelmed emotionally, and are struggling to “stay afloat.”

This makes a little more sense to me. I've also had dreams where I've swam underwater to escape. I've been pulled underwater by waves and have not been scared. What do you think it all means? Are my emotions that powerful and better yet, that suppressed? I wouldn't think so, but maybe my subconscious knows better.

Any idea of what my dreams are trying to tell me?

No comments:

Post a Comment