Tuesday, April 9, 2013

50/50 Challenge: I've Finally Read More Books

Movies are easier for me for this challenge, but I am still chugging away slowly reading books. Good thing for book club which "forces" me to read! For book six, I read an oldie that I never read when I was a young girl. "Jacob, Have I Loved" by Katherine Paterson. Did you ever read that one? It's about the twin sisters and how one is favored over the other? It was pretty good and descriptive and a very quick read.

When I was younger, I remember loving all things Judy Blume, The Babysitters Club, Beverly Cleary, the list goes on and on. I remember getting books as gifts instead of toys and loving it. I've always been a book nerd it seems.

The other book I read was also for another book club and it's a self-help book from 1984. It's called "What to Say When You Talk to Yourself" - ha! Isn't that the funniest name for a book? It's about self-talk, self-motivation, the pursuit of happiness, enjoying your life. One of the main points is that we are "programmed" from an early age with negative thoughts with a lot of being told 'no' and have that ingrained in us as we reach adulthood. We have to essentially reprogram ourselves with positive thoughts. Sounds too good to be true, but from personal experience, it definitely helps!

Maybe these aren't at the top of your book lists, but they were still short, easy reads. It's nice to step outside of the normal comfort zone of what I usually read. Currently, I'm reading "Yes, Chef" and it's fantastic. I love reading books about cooking and chef life.

I need to start building up my summer reading list. What should I add?

Book #6: Jacob, Have I loved - Katherine Paterson
Book #7: What to Say When You Talk to Yourself - Shad Helmstetter

No comments:

Post a Comment