Sunday, January 27, 2013

50/50 Challenge: #6 - 'Philadelphia'

In an effort to watch every film Denzel Washington has been in, I watched "Philadelphia" for the first time. Yes, I was familiar with the Bruce Springsteen song and I had caught pieces of the movie here and there, but I had never watched it in its entirety until today.

Tom Hanks is a lawyer who has been fired from his firm and is now suing them because he feel there was discrimination against him because he has AIDS. Denzel Washington is the lawyer representing him who is reluctant at first with the idea of standing next to someone who has AIDS, let alone someone who is homosexual.

The movie, though made in the early '90s, still has issues that are relevant today: discrimination, gay rights. Denzel plays a damn good attorney and a person who stands by what he feels is right, not what he feels lines up with his personal preferences or preconceptions.

Both he and Tom Hanks look really young in the movie, but then again, I have to remember this was about 20 years ago. My how time flies.

Movie #6: Philadelphia

2 comments:

  1. In case you wanna get real Denzel serious: http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/60920/hollywood-prospectus-podcast-denzel-washington-homeland-and-the-walking-dead

    I have been pondering their assertion of Denzel as "the greatest movie star of our lifetime" for a few weeks now. And I still can't decide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'll be listening to it this morning. Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete