Friday, January 4, 2013

50/50 Challenge: Fresh Start

Last year I attempted the 50/50 challenge. You read 50 books and watch 50 movies in one year. You don't win anything, but it helps you set the pace. I think if there was a prize I would've been more motivated to finish last year. But midway through, I quit. I wasn't even keeping track anymore, and remembering to list them down was such a pain.

I did watch a lot of movies last year and did read a book or two, but listing them I did not. So here I am again, giving it another try. There is still no prize so the likelihood of quitting the challenge midway through the year again, well, it's 50/50.

Book #1:

How Full Is Your Bucket? by Tom Rath and Donald O. Clifton, Ph.D.

My director at work bought this book for me after me and two of my teammates came up with a rewards idea for our department. We wanted something where individuals could be recognized and in turn rewarded. She said this same philosophy was found in this book. I read this book on a flight; it's short. Less than 100 pages of actual text. The two big takeaways from the big: be positive, stop bitching.

That's my philosophy for life, so I enjoyed the book. It is supposed to apply to work, but obviously, it can be applied to life as well. It's talking about not taking out of other people's buckets but rather fill them with positive thoughts and productivity.

It's interesting when you lose excitement for work or feel like you have been devalued how unmotivated you can instantly become. This book made me decide that for my own job, I will work on being positive, which at times can be a challenge, especially when others do not share that same way of thinking.

And, I also decided not to bitch about co-workers. At all. Even to rant. You never know who is relaying what you've said in their in own interpretative way. Lay low and smile, new philosophy for 2013.

Movie #1:

Zero Dark Thirty

Incredible movie. The hunt for bin Laden. It's surreal. 9/11, the capture, all of it is just surreal that that is part of our history. That it still affects us today. Kathryn Bigelow also directed "The Hurt Locker" which is when I first fell in love with Jeremy Renner. She has a way of making even the most mundane things full of suspense. It's the music, the footage and the actors expressions or lack there of that has you holding your breath in this movie. Just having the slightest glimpse into that search is fascinating. The CIA has always been a topic of interest to me anyway, but to watch a reenactment of a the Navy S.E.A.L.s achieving such a mission made me emotional for their skill and sacrifice. Read my full review of the movie here: http://www.examiner.com/review/movie-review-zero-dark-thirty.

Week one of January and I already have the first book and movie out of the way. It's a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment