Sunday, January 27, 2013

Tips for Losing Weight from Someone Half-Heartedly Trying to Lose Weight

It's almost the end of January, which means that either people are full force into their weight loss resolutions or they have given them up entirely only to pledge next year to do better. I fall somewhere in between.

I have never been the kind of person who thinks that I need to lose weight. However, it's constantly ingrained in me that perhaps it wouldn't hurt to lose a few pound. Plus, there's that thing about once you hit 30 that your metabolism drastically slows and you have the chance to turn into an obese whale overnight.

Surprisingly, vanity is not my reason to work out and watch what I eat. Of course it's always better to be able to fit into clothes than not, but really my weight loss goals are directly affected by my desire to...eat more.

I love food. I always have and always will. I don't want to be on some crazy diet that wouldn't suit me just so I can weigh ten pounds less. However, I know that my diet habits of years past just simply won't do. I can't eat french fries with every meal; one meal, but not for all three.

What are my tips for losing weight?

1. Get yourself a buddy who is in better shape than you. I have two friends who are training for their first half-marathon. They have dedicated to getting up before work to run to reach their goals. They can get up at the crack of dawn, so I feel like I can drag my ass to the gym at least three times a week. That's my personal goal at least. Gym or movement of some sort at least three times a week.

2. Be honest about your wardrobe. Understand that there is always going to be a pair of "skinny jeans" that you will want to fit into, but don't let that be the barometer of weight loss or gain. Judge by how all your clothes fit and if they are simply outdated or if in fact, you have packed on the poundage.

3. Don't eat all the french fries. Don't eat french fries with every meal and don't think about eating your companion's fries on top of yours. Stick to a half a plate. And if you really want a whole plate to yourself, just make that on special occasions. Not every other day.

4. Reward yourself for working out. Plan something fun in addition to planning the days you'll be going to the gym. Also, pick something you like. Don't do the treadmill if you loathe the treadmill. You won't automatically start to like it. You will not miraculously achieve a runner's high. Do what you want. But walking an extra few spaces in the parking lot doesn't count as a workout.

5. Don't beat yourself up for missing a workout. If you get off track one week, just start again the next.

Maybe this isn't new news to you and maybe your goals are a little loftier than mine. But if you're like me and are busy and don't really love the gym, but really love to eat, then these tips will help you not pack on extra pounds.

Who knows, you may actually enjoy the shift to a healthier lifestyle. Who knew I'd ever be able to turn down dessert just because I wasn't hungry or order a burger without fries. Who knew that I would find the gym would actually de-stress me and make me feel stronger? You learn something new everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment