Sunday, January 6, 2013

50/50 Challenge: Movies #2 and #3

Knocked off two more movies for the 50/50 challenge. I just went to San Francisco over New Year's Eve weekend for the first time (fantastic!) and so I found it fitting to watch "The Rock" starring Sean Connery, Ed Harris and Nicholas Cage.

This movie is from the mid-90s and centers around Ed Harris as a Marine general taking over Alcatraz Island aka The Rock to demand money from the government for former fallen soldiers' families. Sean Connery plays the only person to escape The Rock and survive and Nicholas Cage is a chem expert with no real field training that holds his own pretty well.

The best part of the movie was seeing the place I had just visited and have been so fascinated with and also learning why they say Sean Connery's character was locked up there in the first place. Hint: Secrets, secrets are no fun...

Today, I watched "Django Unchained." (Read my full review here). I've never been a fan of Quentin Tarantino. I've never not been a fan though either. It does seem like the director likes his violence and this movie has its fair share, but it makes sense for the movie - for the most part. I like the originality of it, but was starting to become still crazy from the three hour run time.

Everyone is praising it, and I agree it was a good time. But it will take up most of your day and it's definitely a kind of movie you have to be in the mood for. It's not just an easygoing comedy or action-packed thriller. It's a movie that needs time to develop.

#2: The Rock
#3: Django Unchained

I'm seeing "Gangster Squad" tomorrow, so it looks like I'm on good pace with the movies of the challenge. Now to get to work with the books...

No comments:

Post a Comment