Sunday, February 2, 2014

50/50 Challenge: Books Update


I almost forgot to record Book #4 for the challenge: Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple. My friend said I would like it. When I started it and told her I did not yet like it, she said, wait, you will. I didn't. I partly blame myself. I think that the more book reviews I read and the more books I read, in general, is kind of overwhelming my brain. 
I'm speeding through these books forming an opinion about them during rather than after. Most of the books I read are for book club, so I want to have some kind of thoughts on the matter at hand. I kind of need to not be so uh, studious, I guess would be the word. 


Badge of honor.   #RandomHouseBooksWhy didn't I like it?

I thought the mystery of "where she went" would be more explosive. It was just a strange story line and like the last book I read, I couldn't find myself feeling anything towards any of the characters. No empathy, no hatred, no excitement. Nothing. I was not invested.

Book #5: There's More to Life Than This by Theresa Caputo. I read a book by the Long Island Medium. This came off a recommendation from a friend after a very lengthy discussion about spirits, faith, positive thinking, and dream interpretations - all of which fascinates me. I have only (recently) seen one of her shows. And while it was entertaining, not sure it will become part of my regular schedule.

I enjoyed the book because it gives accounts of her readings with people speaking to the dead. But also it focuses on faith and her relationship with God. I think whenever she uses the word "Spirit" in the book, it can almost be interchangeable with God or faith. I am a big believer of positive thinking, prayer, and signs. However, I am not quite sure that she could speak to someone on the other side for me. I, on the other hand, have had my deceased dad speak to me in my dreams. How the subconscious works that one out, not sure. So I can't say I'm disbelieving, it's just unreal how it goes down.

I could go on and on about the subject(s) and probably will in future blogs. But for now, I am track with my book reading goal.

Book #4:  Book #4: Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple.
Book #5: There's More to Life Than This by Theresa Caputo

No comments:

Post a Comment