Thursday, June 13, 2013

Is Ya Happy?

I want you to know something and I want you to remember this going forward because I think it's fairly important -- being comfortable is not the same as being happy. Repeat it with me: being comfortable is not the same as being happy.

It's easy to be scared of the unknown. But what's even scarier is that people will stay in a situation that they don't enjoy because they are worried that whatever new thing pops up might be worse. But if you know something isn't making you happy, like if it is a factual thing, then why wouldn't you at least try for something else?

Example: I hate mint chocolate chip ice cream. But I love ice cream. However, if mint chocolate chip ice cream is the only option available to me than I'd rather have nothing.

Do you get what I'm saying?

Maybe not; maybe that wasn't the best example. But what I mean is don't settle for something you don't really want. The saying that something is better than nothing is not actually accurate. You have to base your future decisions on present fact. Ask yourself if you're happy. If I was to ask you that question, how would you respond?

If it falls in the category of "It Could Be Worse" than you are not happy, my friend. You are comfortable or worse, you may be miserable and that is unacceptable. This pertains to anything in your life whether it is work, a friendship, a relationship or just your day-to-day.

If you look at other people's lives and think they're so carefree and fun, newsflash, that can be your life too! Not to get all cheerleadery and inspirational poster, but you don't have to accept another person's decision of what they think is best for you. Be grateful for what you have, absolutely, but don't talk yourself out of extra happiness because you don't think you deserve it or because you don't want to risk it or because you feel happy enough.

I've taken a lot of risks in my life and they have paid off every single time. I still have so much left to learn, but I have gained the wisdom of this: mediocrity is not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment