Sunday, June 2, 2013

I Watched 'Requiem for a Dream' and I Hated It


When I was in college 'Requiem for a Dream' came out and I remember one of my friends going on and on about the brilliance of it. Since then I have heard the same about the movie and about director Darren Aronofsky. However, I disagree. Maybe I'm not artsy or intellectual enough to appreciate it, but I feel it is a gratuitous movie that made me sick to my stomach. Maybe that's the whole point. Who knows? Who cares?

It's a movie about drugs and its affect on people, what they drive people to do, how it destroys people both physically and mentally, etc. etc. It's a strange movie from start to finish and really should be used more as a "Don't Do Drugs" campaign for teenagers. It's harsh reality, which film lovers find beautiful and meaningful and raw. I've read blogs about the movie and they find the genius in different screen captures (or other film technology that is way above my head), but the bottom line is: I did not like the movie. At all. I didn't appreciate it or find it relevant. And maybe that makes me look like a girl that doesn't get it; maybe I don't.

One highlight in the whole movie is that Ellen Burstyn gives a remarkable performance as she scared the shit out of me with her portrayal of Sara Goldfarb, a woman who believes she has been chosen for a tv show and wants to lose weight before appearing, so she picks up some pills. Pills that I'm assuming is some sort of speed that makes her have hallucinations about her refrigerator.

Other than that, I don't recommend the movie. I also don't recommend "Black Swan" for which Natalie Portman won the Oscar. My enjoyment of films might vary quite a bit from the mainstream, but hey, you can't please 'em all, right?

Movie #32: Requiem for a Dream
(photo: sgnewwave.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment