Friday, January 16, 2015

50/50 Challenge: Book Update

Knocked out three more books for the challenge. I'm 4/50 right now. I'm getting ready to read Lean In for a book club and am interested to see if I'll like it. Who's read it?


Saving GraceSaving Grace by Jane Green

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I LOVE Jane Green. I've read all her books and feel she is just my "comfort food" when it comes to books. She really invests in her characters and gives good description of them so that you can immerse in their (often soap opera-ish) lives. In her latest novel, she also throws in a bit of mystery that adds another element to the story.

I also like how she incorporates London into many of her books since she's originally from the UK. Many of her books reflect women who have to find their inner strength and this one is another example of that, but in a way that draws you in for a little bit to the entertainment of the story. I read this book in 24 hours.

Someone Else's Love StorySomeone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This was definitely a unique story. It started out with action right away and then took itself backwards and in interesting directions. I like the author's character description to get a visual picture of each person. Maybe due to how much Shandi had been through, I kept placing her as older.

There is a little mystery involved with this book as it discusses Shandi's "miraculous" child and it did leave men wondering, whose love story is being talked about.

The writing was well-paced. I'm not sure about the development for William's character at the end, but I guess it gave a bit of closure to the situation. His friend, Paula was one of my favorite characters and I think it would be interesting if the writer dedicated a book just to her.

The story did take a traditional theme of "can men and women just be friends" and put a creative spin on it.

Every Day (Every Day #1)Every Day by David Levithan

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book is a true original and that's what I appreciate from it the most. The main character - A - changes bodies of who he is every day and tells a different story in each chapter, when running along with each new life is common story of A falling in love and how he's going to get his girl when he wakes up in a different family in a different house every day.

If it wasn't for this running love story, then I think the book would've been harder to get through because you can't connect with any of the characters or put yourself into any situation because the chapters are short and A's time with each of them is short lived.

I think to have the creativity to come up and execute this type of book is fantastic and I applaud the author. Plus, the ending was unexpected, but left a good closure to the book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment