Friday, March 7, 2014

50/50 Challenge: Back to Books

If you're going to be addicted to something, it might as well be books.
Addicted? Just a wee bit.
I'm not too off pace for my 50 books in 2014 goal. I've been reading a little bit of everything lately, mostly that which has been suggested for my book clubs. 

The Preservationist by Justin Kramon is a suspense novel, not too gory, and some pretty interesting characters. The cool thing is that I met this author because he paid a visit to our book club, which I think is just too, too great. What a great way to really get to know your readers (audience) and connect with them. He did this for his first book and he's done this with his new one. 

Side note: this must be the year of the author for me because I've been able to meet one, and hear two others speak last month (Jeannette Walls and Anne Lamott), and will be attending yet another book reading from another author. Check with your local bookstores or just visit your favorite author's website for appearances. I've been able to meet several of my favorites.

I also read a book about taxes, which sounds boring, and part of it kind of was. But it was helpful. I mean how fascinating can taxes be? There is a good section in Outsmarting the System written by former IRS agent Anthony Campidonica that is particularly of interest to me regarding self-employment and taxes. To win a free copy of the book, click here.

And, just recently I read Golden State by Michelle Richmond, whom I will hear speak at Warwick's in La Jolla next week. This book was fantastically written and was truly just a good story. It spans over the course of one day but takes on really heavy situations told in a way that makes it seem like the story is of someone you know. 

So, there you go. Three new books to add to my goal. Starting The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes next. I have picked up the Large Print version by accident. Although, I am not that bummed about this mistake. 

Happy reading!

Book #8: The Preservationist by Justin Kramon
Book #9: Outsmarting the System by Anthony Campidonica
Book #10: Golden State by Michelle Richmond 

No comments:

Post a Comment