Sunday, February 24, 2013

50/50 Challenge Update

I'm in double digits now for movies seen. Too bad "Safe Haven" pushed me over to #10. Don't get me wrong, I understand the formula of Nicholas Sparks-based movies going in, but sometimes I just hope that they aren't so incredibly dull. You can read my full review of disappointment for the movie here.

I also finally made it to book three of the challenge by finishing Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I hate wordy book titles, but this story was an interesting one. It was slow in parts but very descriptive. I learned later that this actually is a young adult book, but the story is a bit haunting for a younger audience. It's about a teenage named Jacob who follows his grandfather's past to a unusual island filled with yes, peculiar children who have the same kind of powers as sideshow acts. There is a twisted element that is a hard one to wrap the head around and is reminiscent of a movie that came out last year with (semi-spoiler to the book) Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

The creepy visuals in the book are actual photos the author collected and rumor has it that it is indeed going to be made into a movie directed by none other than Tim Burton. That will be an interesting one for sure.

I'm more on pace to about a book a month, so not quite sure how I'm going to work up to fifty by the end of the year, but who knows what could happen.

Movie #10: Safe Haven
Book #3: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

No comments:

Post a Comment