Sunday, August 11, 2013

50/50 Challenge: I Surpassed 50!

I came; I saw; I conquered 50 movies.
I have succeeded in one part of the 50/50 Challenge. Eight months in, I have watched 50+ movies already which makes me think that I could possibly see double the amount of movies than books that need to be read for the challenge.

"We're the Millers" starring stripper-bodied Jennifer Aniston was a surprisingly funny throughout the duration of the film. I think Jason Sudeikis has upped his attractive factor by dating Olivia Wilde and I like him for hailing from KC and wearing KU gear. He actually wears two different t-shirts from KC BBQ places in this film. I gave it a three-star rating and you can read the full review here.

I also saw "Fruitvale Station" which broke my heart and made me cry and cry. At the end, when they say what happens to the cop who shot Oscar (played by a fantastic Michael B. Jordan), I got really angry. The punishment did not fit the crime and right on the heels of the Trayvon Martin trial, it just infuriated me even further. The movie is shot in a sort of documentary way and makes Oscar be an imperfect, young human being with good intentions. To see that cut short by a thoughtless "mistake" is truly devastating.

"2 Guns" with one of my favorite actors Denzel Washington made it 50 for me and he and Mark Wahlberg are funny, fast-talking and clever in this clunky story. It's about corrupt government, cops, drug dealers, same old same old and there were so many layers of it, I was getting confused as to who was the bad guy and why. The story didn't fit together in anyway and the explanation for what brought Washington and Wahlber's together in the first place isn't that clear either. However, the movie is fun. I love Denzel and pretty much everything he does.

Movie #48: We're the Millers
Movie #49: Fruitvale Station
Movie #50: 2 Guns

*Ding, ding, ding -- winner, winner chicken dinner. I hit 50 movies of the 50/50 Challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment