Monday, June 1, 2015

50/50 Challenge: Halfway Mark

June marks the halfway point for the 50/50 Challenge. While I've been behind on regularly updating my progress, maybe it's better that I just do it now and then near the end of the year, I can see if 2015 is the year I accomplish my goal. 

I'm not doing awful, but I'm not doing great either. Since my last update, I've seen the following movies:

#23 - True Story
#24 - Adult Beginners
#25 - Welcome to Me
#26 - Insurgent
#27 - Pitch Perfect 2
#28 - Entourage

A little bit behind on the reading end, per the usual.

#11 - Better than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives - Gretchen Rubin
#12 - The Violets of March - Sarah Jio
#13 - Into into Wild - Jon Krakauer
#14 - The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace: A Brilliant Young Man Who Left Newark for the Ivy League - Jeff Hobbs
#15 - The Artist's Way - Julia Cameron
#16 - The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho

I wouldn't even be this far on my book reading if it wasn't for my book clubs and being on pace to read something in order to discuss it later. However, of the ones I've read recently, only one was for book club.

I don't know why I never was pulled into reading Into the Wild before now, but I'm so glad I did. Jon Krakauer did an excellent job of mixing journalism with storytelling. I'm eager to read more of his work. The story of Into the Wild reflects many of my own feelings towards "how to live life." I followed up that book by reading a few articles regarding criticism surrounding both Krakauer and Christopher McCandless (whose story the book captures). When someone takes a road that goes so strongly against the norm, it's a given there will be judgment that is mostly based on misunderstanding or non-understanding. These stories are important to tell whether they go against the grain of society or not. Honestly, they're important because they go against the grain of society.

But, I digress. Movies-wise, I'm good. I'll make it to 50 and beyond. I'm confident. Books-wise, it's going to be a struggle. I'm open to suggestions for any must see/must read movies and books.

No comments:

Post a Comment