Tuesday, July 12, 2011

(Google) Plus One

I was late to the game on joining the now defunct MySpace. I never wanted to be part of The Social Network a.k.a. Facebook. I was just on there to play Scramble. And Twitter was just an added silliness that I thought I could use to pass the time. Now, here I am right on the verge of the newest social networking - Google+.

By on the verge, I mean I have no idea what the hell I am doing. Working backwards, I find that Twitter has been the most beneficial to me, Facebook lets me peek in on my family and friends' daily dramas and excitements and MySpace (R.I.P.) led me to great music, profile songs and smiley faces so people knew exactly what mood I was in.

As a newbie, I felt that all of this "connecting" with people was unnecessary and just another phase of networking and technology that would pass by not blow up to a monumental size and continue its King Kong-like growth. So instead of fighting it, I decided to swim with the stream for once, instead of against it. By doing so, I have been able to be led into a fascinating world with new people, new businesses, fellow writers and of course, my friends and family who also update their statuses religiously so that I can know what they're doing during the day.

So I say to all of you who may be hesitant, give it a whirl, and see if you like it. You may think it to be a complete waste of time and go back to your tv reruns and discussions with no one. But, then again you might find it captivating, intriguing and if nothing else, fun to be able to network and connect with people you may never have had a chance to meet otherwise.

Cheers to the social networkers out there! Friend me, follow me and plus one me into your virtual worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment